Our Sustainability Commitment
At Barry John’s we are committed to a greener future for us all. Our commitment towards sustainability and following in an environmentally friendly manufacturing process is very important to us. We are delighted to be Bord Bia Origin Green Certified.
Origin Green is Ireland’s pioneering food and drink sustainability programme, operating on a national scale, uniting government, the private sector and the full supply chain from farmers to food producers and right through to the foodservice and retail sectors. The programme is the worlds’ only national food and drink sustainability programme, and enables the industry to set and achieve measurable sustainability targets that respect the environment and serve local communities more effectively.
The benefits of Origin Green are more environmentally aware farms, an important focus on community and more sustainable food and drink production which ultimately contribute to sustainable livelihoods. This is what makes Ireland’s food and drink produce the first choice globally; it is trusted as sustainably produced by people who care.
Green & Sustainability Award 2023
We are delighted to have received the Cavan County Enterprise Green & Sustainability Award 2023 for our commitment to our sustainability within our manufacturing.
- Maintain 100% of Pork from PQAS certified suppliers.
- Increase the percentage of our suppliers with sustainability certifications from 20% in 2020 to 70% by 2025.
- Replacing all black non-recyclable PET tubs & black polystyrene trays with recyclable packaging by the end of 2023.
- Donate staff time for community-based projects in our area.
- Reducing our carbon emissions by using the delivery van efficiently.
- To reduce electricity output by 20% by 2025, compared to 2020 baseline.
- We have created a 10m² pollinator friendly garden at the factory. We joined the 2021-2025 All Ireland Pollinator Plan, we have created this garden so that pollinators will thrive here as without bees we will lose the colourful and distinct natural beauty of our landscape. 78% of our wild plants benefit from insect pollination. We want to do our bit to help.